Just off Candlemaker Row in Edinburgh is Grayfriar's Kirkyard, probably Edinburgh's oldest graveyard. The burial ground precedes the church, was came later. Inside the ground there is part of the 15th century Flodden Wall.
The Telfer Wall, here at The Vennel, was an extension to the city's Flodden Wall. It was built to surround George Heriot's, which at the time was a hospital.
Looking up Infirmary Street towards South Bridge and the University. Where the buildings are on the left was once Edinburgh Infirmary, hence the street's name. An image can be seen here.
Milne's (or Mylne's) Court was built in 1690 to help make some space in the crowded tenements on the Lawnmarket on the Royal Mile. The alley above looks down onto Bank Street (at the top of the Mound) and in the distance can be seen the Scottish National Gallery, Princes Street, George Street and Fife. The building to the left is Assembly Hall.
This gate in Rutland Square was once the entrance to Princes Street railway station before Dr Beeching got his way and scrubbed it off the British railway network.
The Regents Bridge (part of Waterloo Place), built around 1819 so people in the New Town could have access to Calton Hill, overlooks Calton Road. It is another of Edinburgh's virtually enclosed bridges/viaducts.
The first photograph looks down Old Fishmarket Close towards the Argyle Brewery in the Cowgate. In the background further up can be seen the roof of the Royal Museum in Chambers Street. The colour photograph is the same scene today.
The former St Francis of Assisi Church in Bristo, which shows the many buildings demolished around Bristo and Potterrow in the 1960s by Edinburgh University.